Dinner With Groucho By Frank McGuinness
Presented by b*spoke theatre company
Two men, together, on the edge of heaven.
In a strange restaurant two American giants who revere each other, Groucho Marx and T.S. Eliot, meet for dinner. Both in their own ways great defiant spirits, they create magic and anarchy, revealing secrets and sorrows. The evening is presided over by the Proprietor, who seems to control the workings of the universe.
Or does she?
In Dinner With Groucho all is revealed, or nearly so…
An evening that promises blistering wit, brilliant buffoonery, and reflections on the ephemeral nature of life from the award-winning writer of such iconic plays as Observe the Sons of Ulster Marching Towards the Somme, Someone Who’ll Watch Over Me and The Factory Girls comes this fast-paced fictional dinner date like no other.
Age guidance: 10 Yrs+
7 Oct: BSL signed performance by Kristina Laverty. Made possible thanks to support from Halifax Foundation For Northern Ireland.
Note: Sales will close on our Box Office at 4pm daily for that day’s performance. Limited tickets available at The MAC.
- Frank McGuinness
- Ian Bartholomew (Geoff Metcalfe, Coronation Street) as Groucho Marx
- Ingrid Craigie (Mary, Blood; Rita, You Are Not My Mother) as Proprietor
- Greg Hicks (title roles in Coriolanus, Hamlet, and Macbeth for Royal Shakespeare Company) as Tom
- Director: Loveday Ingram
- Set Designer: Adam Wiltshire
- Costume Design: Joan Bergin
- Costume Design Assistant: Gabriel O’Brien
- Lighting Designer: Paul Keogan
- Choreographer: David Bolger
- Composer & Sound Designer: Conor Linehan
- Sound Programmer: Fiona Shiel
- Magic Consultant: Pat Fallon
- Production Manager: Eamon Fox
- Stage Manager: Audrey Cepeda
- Assistant Stage Manager: Rachel Spratt
- Assistant Stage Manager: Abi Cepeda
- Production Assistant: Rachel Heyburn
- Graphic Designer and Website Designer: Ben Stenning
- Production Photography: Barry McCall and Ros Kavanagh
- Bowe Communications
- Marketing Director: Niamh Honer
- Promo Film: David Merriman and Jim Sheridan
- Rehearsal Photos: Martin Nagle
- Photoshoot Makeup: Sarah McCann
- Producer: Alison McKenna
b*spoke theatre company is supported by the Arts Council | An Chomhairle Ealaíon
Photography by Barry McCall ©
Background image is a detail from T.S. Eliot by Ida Kar © National Portrait Gallery, London
PREMIERE PICK N MIX TICKET DEAL!
OFFER 1: Multi-buy discount
– Choose 2 selected events: save £8 Full/ £7 Conc*
– Choose 3 selected events: save £12 Full/ £10.50 Conc*
Bookings must be made in one transaction to qualify for the discount. Available throughout the festival.
*Discount on advertised Full and Concession rate tickets.
OFFER 2: Earlybird discount
Take advantage of 20% discount on selected events when you book between Tues 9 Aug – Sun 11 Sep.
Only one offer can be applied at checkout.
Dinner With Groucho Playtext
Pre-order the playtext for Dinner with Groucho for £5 plus delivery from Faber (link opens to faber.co.uk)
Add the code Drama5 into the promo box at the checkout.
Note: delivery to Northern Ireland and UK addresses only.
This reimagined meeting between Groucho Marx and TS Eliot is delivered with breakneck speed, comic timing and subtlety
McGuinness is a master craftsman among dramatists